[For Discussion] Transitioning the Governance Vault

Background & Rationale:

As currently written in the AIP-24, all locked governance stakers are set to automatically unlock during the upcoming governance migration. Users will then have to manually lock their tokens in the new governance vault. This setup could be breaking the “lock momentum” and forcing stakers to manually lock in the new governance may lead to a non-trivial amount of ALPACA not relocking, and subsequent selling pressure on ALPACA. So we’re proposing for locked tokens from old governance to remain locked in new governance (users will be able to withdraw after 21 days, which is the new max lock period should they unlock)

Execution:

Automatically migrate locked xALPACA in the old Governance vault to continue as locked in the new gov vault. This way, locked tokens will remain locked, and maintain the momentum of being opt-in.

If users wish to unlock, they can then do so on the new Governance Vault. So for many users who do not need to unlock urgently, they’re more likely to keep their tokens locked, because it will be the default.

*Note:

• xALPACA that’s already unlocked in the old Governance vault at the time of migration will not be moved to the new vault. Users will be able to claim them directly in the old vault*
  • The new Governance vault is scheduled to go live around mid November.
5 Likes

Good, what will happen to xALPACA that unlock period is less than 3 weeks?

2 Likes

Nice, I support this method of transfer. Very reassuring.

So no action needed by the people who currently are locked in governance? It will just automatically go into new governance…

1 Like

That’s correct.
You also won’t need to keep refreshing the lock duration every week once in the new gov vault.

1 Like

If it’s not difficult to implement, I suggest the new lock period can be proportional to its exisitng lock period. If 52 weeks equals 21 days, 25 weeks will be around 10 days, 3 weeks will be around 1 day.
The formular: New lock days = Existing lock weeks/52*21 (round to whole numbers)

1 Like

The same as all other locked xALPACA, it will be rolled over into locked in the new governance. The 21 days will only activate once an unlock will be manually initiated. I have checked with the product team and this cannot be changed to accommodate a handful of people with under 21 days at migration time.

3 Likes

I support transferring the locked gov tokens to the new gov vault. It is what I expected would happen.

This topic has now been created into an AIP for voting. Any additional comments can be made in this thread: [AIP-26] Transitioning the Governance Vault

The current estimated time for the new Governance vault to go live is mid November. The exact date will be announced in early November.